Wednesday, September 7, 2011

OOTD 9/6: New Stripes, an Antique Pendant, and Vintage Pleats

Shirt: J.Crew Painter Tee, sz. small
Skirt: Vintage '50s linen pleated skirt
Shoes: A purchase from a trip to Italy in 2008; red patent leather
Necklace: Vintage pendant
Earrings: Gold filigree hoops

Yesterday's OOTD was centered around/inspired by the vintage '50s navy linen pleated skirt I picked up last week at Yesterday's News in Pittsburgh for $15.  If you're ever in the Pittsburgh area and are a fan of vintage clothes, I highly recommend stopping at Yesterday's News!  Here are a couple of better pictures of the skirt (front and back):

There's just something about the silhouette of a high-waisted A-line skirt and tucked-in shirt that I can't resist.  Maybe it's because it makes me feel like the glamorous Hollywood version of a 1950s housewife.  I even tried to paint on some red lipstick this morning.  Unfortunately, the closest thing I could find was a maroon lip gloss, and it made me look like I belonged with the Ringling Bros. instead of in the kitchen in my heels, patiently waiting for my adoring, hard-working husband to burst through the door, Leave It To Beaver style.  Because I don't do well with clowns OR cooking, I decided to leave the red for the pros. 

I also wore a pendant that my mom found at an antique store a few years ago.  She's worn it twice since she bought it; I've worn it twice since Saturday.  When she told me she thought I would get more wear out of it, she was right.

I love the delicate details of the necklace, and it's a very of-the-moment length.  

If the blog is quiet for the rest of the week, it's because one of my best friends' weddings is this Saturday, and the rest of the week is filled with bridesmaid dress fittings, a rehearsal dinner, and other pre-wedding and wedding festivities.  I'll try to get another post in before the end of the week, but I'm not making any promises.  I hope you are all having a wonderful week!    

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful outfit! I love the red shoes...so perfect with the black stripes and skirt! I just asked my grandma if she had any pleated midi skirts she wasn't wearing anymore...she was SO excited I asked and has spent the last few days digging through her cedar chest, hehe! I love the high-waisted, mid-length skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the outfit and the necklace is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you LR and AppGal!

    @AppGal - Nice move! One of my great-aunts used to wear pleated midi's every day (even to do housework like scrubbing the floor!), and she's been begging me to come take a look at her closet and go through it. I think after the success of this skirt, I'm going to have to take her up on the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look darling, so sweet, so feminine. Striped top goes beautiful with swingy skirt and red pumps add a nice pop of color.

    ReplyDelete