Monday, August 15, 2011

OOTD: Red and Recycled

Note: I wrote this entire post, then went to publish it, and it disappeared completely. So I’m sorry if a bit of anger or frustration seeps through my writing. BLAH!  This shall be my lesson of the day: always type in Word first.  Anywho, onward and upward.

This past weekend was busy busy busy, guys! Being the hardcore wannabe athletes that we are, my fiance and I had ultimate frisbee playoffs on Saturday, so we got up bright and early to compete with our team. Sadly, we lost both of our games in a double elimination tournament, but we decided that we earned a date night.

We went to a fun restaurant called BRGR. If you're in the Pittsburgh area, I highly suggest you try it. Yummy yummy…burgers, of course! If you are a friend of the bovine, they also have turkey and veggie burgers. Those are on my list to try next time. We also saw waitresses carrying milkshakes that looked to-die-for, but we went to our favorite fro-yo place for dessert instead. First, a little something for the foodies:
A well-done cheeseburger with white cheddar cheese on a whole wheat bun. It was perfection.

Here’s what I wore:

Tank: Anthropologie
Jeans: Joe’s Jeans, Anthropologie
Cardi: Merona, Target
Shoes: Mossimo, Target
Feather earrings: Local farmer’s market
Wooden bracelet: A vendor at our hotel in Punta Cana
Books bracelet: Kards Unlimited
Even though the fiancé likes to call this my “marching band shirt,” I love it. The orange-y, fiery red color is beautiful, the cut is super-flattering for a curvy figure, and the buttons are the perfect extra adornment. My only complaint is that the panel in the middle is pretty low, so I can’t wear this shirt to school. It’ll just have to make weekend appearances in my wardrobe until next summer.


I can't resist showing you a close-up of the bracelets I’m wearing:

As an English teacher, I melt over almost all clothes and accessories that are literature-related or inspired. This I Read Banned Books bracelet is no exception. Each link of the bracelet features the cover of a book that has been frequently banned, and some of them just happen to be my favorites: To Kill a Mockingbird, Howl, Huckleberry Finn, Go Ask Alice, and Alice in Wonderland. I love wearing this bracelet to school. It’s my own little way of sticking my tongue out at The System ;)


I made a polyvore for today’s OOTD, (which is showing up at the end of this post for some reason; Blogger and I are about to have it out, Greasers/Socs style) but I made a couple of changes. The earrings, bracelet, and cardigan are nowhere to be found online, so I found similar substitutions. The recycled bag is actually sort of a larger version of the wristlet that I currently carry, which is made out of recycled newspaper from Mexico. My wonderful mama bought it for me at an airport on one of her excursions, so I’m fairly sure I won’t be able to find it anywhere on the web either.


The fiancé and I were up and running all day on Sunday as well, with picnics and a visit with his grandmother, who is in town. During the summer, I don’t mind when my weekends are jam-packed with plans, but as the school year approaches, I’m hoping our schedule calms down a bit. I’m not someone who benefits physically or mentally from going non-stop, yet that always seems to be the way we live!


Was your weekend as hectic as mine was, or did you get to relax and recharge?
Red and Recycled


J Crew knit cardigan
$62 - jcrew.com

Top
$30 - anthropologie.com

Joe s
$158 - anthropologie.com

Tote handbag
$60 - momastore.org

Tribal bracelet
£15 - chiarafashion.co.uk

Drop earrings
$42 - urbanoutfitters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment