Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A couple of little feathers

I generally don't consider myself to be a follower of what I call super trends - you know, the fads that come out of nowhere, are trendy for about five seconds, then disappear just as quickly.  However, I couldn't resist the latest super trend.  I'm not even sure what my fascination is with those odd little feathers women of all ages are sporting in their hair this summer.  I don't even want to tell you where I first saw them, but since I know all of you have guilty pleasures, I'll share one of mine:
Yes, that's Lucy Hale, who plays the funky Aria on ABC Family's "Pretty Little Liars," which I just so happen to watch religiously.  I like to say that I watch it so that I have something to talk about with my students, but really, I can't resist a good teen murder mystery melodrama.   

Anyway, I loved her feathers.  I started seeing them on everyone from Selena Gomez,
 
who is a teenager, to Hilary Duff,
who is my age.  Even Steven Tyler sported them for a while.
His look a bit more extreme and a lot, um, dirtier than most of the celebrity feathers I've seen.
 
While I knew I didn't want mine to look quite like his, I decided to follow in the footsteps of Mr. Tyler and get a couple of little feathers in my hair.  I went with a lighter color to match my highlights and a darker red color to blend into my natural lowlights.  Here they are:
I like that they're relatively subtle, so I can hide them and blend them, but they're close enough to my face that I can show them off if I want.  They last six weeks, and I can take them out anytime.  I just have to go back to my salon to have my stylist put them back in.  They're attached with a little bead, which was tightened around a tiny section of my hair.  I've been wearing quite a bit of flowy, boho styles lately, so I figured these feathers would fit right in. 

The fiance thinks they're ridiculous, and he just shook his head when I told him I had decided to get them.  There's a part of me that thinks they're ridiculous, too, but I get antsy when it comes to my hair.  I figured these feathers are an easy, relatively inexpensive way to shake things up a bit.

Have you ever followed a ridiculous super trend?  What were your reasons?  I'd love to hear that I'm not the only one! :) 

3 comments:

  1. It's fun and I love it. Plus, Steven Tyler is cool regardless of age. I like his wardrobe better as he gets older because he has fun. Hillary looks great as a brunette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I know, I love her as a brunette! She married one of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and I live near Pittsburgh (and I'm a huge Pens fan), and my friends saw her out and about all the time. I'm pretty sure that picture is from a Pens game.
    And I'm a Steven Tyler fan, too. I have a soft spot for old man classic rockers (Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey are my faaavorite).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little feathers!! Although it's not really a 'super trend' in my books...feathers off all sizes are common hair accessories for people of my background (I'm Native American btw). I like the bright feathers the best because it mimics the look of coloured highlights, but without the crazy dyes.

    ReplyDelete