Monday, August 8, 2011

J.Crew Reviews: Tippi Sweater, Blythe Blouse, Boy Shirt in Quincy Tartan, and some extras

Hi dolls!  I hope this Monday finds you well.  Today, I have the last of my reviews from my trip to the J.Crew B&M.  I tried on several tops, and had several more in my dressing room.  I'll list those after the reviews of the tops I tried on.  Here we go:

Tippi sweater in bold peri and bright dahlia

I love this sweater.  In fact, I love it so much that I bought it in the bold peri that I'm wearing above, and I also picked one up in bright dahlia (same color as the cafe capris in the second photo) without trying it on.  I'm hoping to pair the bright dahlia with the double-serge wool pencil skirt in jazzy purple.
Price: $69.50, with the cardholder's 20% (good until August 25th!), it was $55.60
Size: Small
Pros: Very comfy and soft, available in a beautiful array of colors, great sleeve length
Cons: A little clingy
I generally tend to wear a small or an extra small in J.Crew's tops.  With this sweater, I went with the small.  The material is a little bit clingy.  I love that the 3/4 sleeves hit a few inches above my wrists, and the crew-neck neckline covers enough that this sweater can be worn to school.  The length of the sweater is perfect, also.  The peri and dahlia colors are relatively true to what is shown on the website, if not a little bit brighter.  I'm thinking about grabbing this in veridian green and vibrant flame, but I'm going to wait and see how it wears.  Lately, my Crew sweaters have pilled, and I've been extremely disappointed in how they wash and wear. 

Silk Blythe blouse in extravagant green

How beautiful is the color on this blouse? 
Price: $98
Size: 4
Pros: Gorgeous, rich, vibrant color, super-soft silk
Cons: Dry clean only, looser fit
I already own the Blythe blouse in fresh apricot and the olive green color from this past spring, so I didn't feel like I absolutely needed another one.  I love how feminine and soft the Blythe looks, but for some reason, I feel like my other two fit me a teeeeeny tiny bit differently.  I might be crazy, because I'm pretty sure it's the same cut, but my other Blythe blouses seem to be cut a little more like the perfect shirt.  They both are just a tiny bit tighter on my waist.  Again, I might be crazy, but this blouse seemed to fit a bit more loosely. 

As a side note:  My personal shopper suggested pairing this with the No. 2 pencil skirt in veridian green, and getting the boy shirt below as another option to wear on top.  I contemplated going this route, but I didn't feel like the color complemented my skin tone, brown hair, and green eyes as much as the dahlia and jazzy purple would.  If this green color looks great on you, those three pieces would make two awesome outfits!


Don't mind the pink pants or the look on my face...I was seriously considering my PS's outfit idea I mentioned above.
Price: $72
Size: 4
Pros: Gorgeous pattern and colors, could be very versatile, the buttons don't gap
Cons: Fit was a little tight across the bust, a bit expensive for a cotton shirt
This was my first experience with J.Crew's boy shirt.  I generally wear their perfect shirts and swear by them.  I just don't think the boy shirt cut is for me.  I'm a little too ample up top to be able to pull it off.  Then again, my mother looked at this picture and said, "Oooh, I love that shirt on you!"  She IS my mom, so she might have just been saying that ;)  The buttons actually don't gap at my bust, so the pattern might add to the, um, generous look that you see above, but I distinctly remember this feeling extremely tight across the bust and shoulders when I tried it on. 

Alright, now on to the "Name this sweater" game.
Chunky cable knit sweater of some kind


My personal shopper brought me this sweater in what looks like the jazzy purple and the golden hickory colors (at which point I could tell my fiance was over the fitting room fun, so I just held it up so that you guys could see the color).  It's a chunky cable knit that I cannot seem to find online.  It might be a wool version of the cashmere cable sweater.  This sweater was $98, it had sleeves that were slightly longer than 3/4, it was a crew neck, and it was somewhat itchy.  If anyone can name this sweater (I didn't even look at the codes on the tags, bad reviewer, sorry), feel free to enlighten us! 

Other tops my PS brought me, but I didn't try on:
This shirt was very drapey, and not my style at all, so I didn't even try it on.  At full price, it's $110.00.  I didn't feel like it was a special enough piece for me to spend that much money on it.  The silk crepe de chine was extremely soft and touchable, though.

You may be able to see this shirt hanging up in some of my IRL pictures.  My abundance of perfect shirts and blouses at the moment kept me from trying on this pretty little piece.  Also, at $78, I figure I can probably wait for this to go on sale further than the 20%.  It seems to me that the brightly colored pieces, and not the leopard print, are what are selling out quickly on the site.

I hope these last few days of reviews have helped!  Happy shopping, lovelies!

5 comments:

  1. You just sold me on the tippi sweater in bold peri - of course I have nothing to go with it, it's my first foray into blue.
    I am so envious of your hourglass shape, look at that waist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you, Bourbon&Pearls! I have been really surprised at the outfits I've been able to create with the bold peri tippi! It really is more versatile than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's the fisherman sweater, the itchy one that you had in the last picture =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous - Yeah! I figured that out like a week later when the Crew updated their website. Our B&M gets new stock in weeks before the website is updated, so I'm always left guessing what exactly it is I'm reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. treatment for mild fatty infiltration of liver treatment for mild fatty infiltration of liver treatment
    for mild fatty infiltration of liver

    Feel free to visit my website; fatty liver disease drugs to avoid

    ReplyDelete