Tuesday, August 23, 2011

J.Crew Review: No.2 Pencil Skirt in double-serge wool

Hi all!  Before I get to the review, I know I have quite a few blogger friends in the greater D.C. area, and I want you all to know that I'm thinking about you.  The fiance's sister lives and works in D.C., and she was evacuated from her building today after the earthquake and was pretty alarmed.  I hope you are all safe and free of any kind of damage. 

On to the review.


After being waitlisted, I finally received this beauty in the mail, and I couldn't be happier with it.  The jazzy purple color is sold out on the website, but lots of other yummy hues are still available.  I am considering buying this skirt in viridian green or vibrant flame once I'm off my fiance-mandated spending moratorium, only because the jazzy purple color is so gorgeous, so I imagine the other colors are as well. 


The skirt is a size 4, and it fits TTS.  It's a little big in my waist, but I always have put up with that problem in order to fit my hips.  The color is a slightly deeper purple than the stock photo.  I had pictured something a little closer to the bright dahlia color. 


The double-serge wool gives the skirt a beautiful, heavy texture and adds structure to keep everything in, so to speak. 


Don't mind the tag sticking out the back.  I didn't know it was sticking up, and the fiance declined to tell me about it.  Men and their lack of attention to detail.  ;)  Anyway, the only thing that I don't like about this skirt is the 23 1/2" length.  The only other pencil skirt I have from J.Crew (other than my new paisley skirt) is the Oak Tweed pencil skirt, and it's 21 1/2" inches long.  That length hit just above my knees and was perfect on my short little legs.  The extra two inches of fabric dwarfs my legs even further than they already appear.  This is extremely apparent from the picture of the back of the skirt.  I think I'll get the skirt hemmed before school starts next week.  Anyone else miss the 21 1/2" length that was around for about a season?

I've already tried this skirt on with my Cecilia cami, above, and with my tippi sweater in the bright dahlia color.  I love the monochromatic look with a slightly lighter color on top, sort of like in this Looks We Love look:



I really think this skirt is going to be extremely versatile, even in the purple color.  I can just picture wearing it throughout the year, almost as a neutral as long as I don't get too out of hand with the rest of the outfit. 

I hope you all have a wonderful evening!

6 comments:

  1. The skirt looks fabulous on you! I ordered the viridian green, spicy gold and the jazzy purple, all three colors are TDF! I am short, too, and ordered the skirts in Petite, which is 21.5" long. Maybe you should consider exchanging for a petite size?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the skirt look fab on you and I like it paired with that cami. I would also suggest getting it in petite if it's still available. I just received mine yesterday and love everything about it. I'm 5'5" and the skirt is just about to a bit long for me but I think the petite on me would be a bit short for my comfort when I sit down. Now I wish I hadn't sold that cami last year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that color is fabulous on you! I ordered the skirt in a petite in the camel color and have last year's versions in the bronzed ochre and dusty rose. one of jcrew's best imo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful color on you! Yeah, you might go for the 6P. It might be 1/2" shorter in the waist, but still fit in the hips. JCAUNCMOM has a great post on finding your ideal skirt length. It explains why some people who are over 5'4" might still fare better in size P for skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yep, I'm a shorty. I checked on the skirt in petite, but it's sold out, too. I have a pretty curvy figure, and I've had some run-ins with petite sizes in the past that haven't been pleasant, to say the least haha. I've never even thought of trying J.Crew's petite sizes. I'll know for next time!

    ReplyDelete