Monday, November 14, 2011

Inspired: OOTD

About a month ago, when J.Crew's November catalog came, I sat around with some of my friends/J.Crew fans at school in the morning before the day started flipping through the pages.  When I came across one of the pages, one of the girls said, "You have that skirt!  You could totally recreate that look."  So, I was inspired to give it a shot. 

Here's the catalog page with the aforementioned outfit (a big thanks to Suzy at Bichonluvr's Closet for scanning this catalog for us!):



I loved how effortlessly chic this look was, and it was really pretty effortless to recreate and personalize.  Here's what I came up with:

Turtleneck:  J.Crew merino turtleneck sweater in black, sz. small
Skirt:  J.Crew liquid silk skirt in bright dahlia, sz. 2 (reviewed here, remixed here)
Socks:  Black trouser socks...honestly, I think I stole them from my mom (sorry mama!)
Shoes:  Nine West Riane, sz. 7.5
Heart and filigree necklaces:  Vintage

Here's a detail box I put together (Don't mind the awful look on my face or the crooked necklaces, it was preeetty darn early in the morning.):
Overall, I was pretty happy with the outcome, but the socks + oxfords made me nervous.  A couple of the sophomores made fun of the combo and said I looked "just like an English teacher" (duh), but I haven't ever taken fashion advice from 16 year-old boys, and I don't plan on starting anytime soon ;) 

I'll post the Polyvore for the outfit below, but before we get to that...

I know I have some new readers, so I want to welcome them to the blog!  :) 


J.Crew Catalog Inspiration with handbag options




Have a wonderful day!

3 comments:

  1. I adore this outfit on you! You look absolutely stunning! I understand your apprehension about the oxfords + socks; I feel the same way and haven't been able to go outside my comfort zone with them. Good decision on not taking fashion advice from students. If we did, we'd be dressing in nothing but Hollister tees and low-rise jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Try the heels and socks..you won't regret it! And when you ARE surrounded by Hollister tees and low-rise jeans all day, it's the little things (e.g. socks with heels) that make you feel better about your life lol.

    I hope your back is feeling better tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great and that's the first time I have seen the sock/shoe/bootie thing working in real life.

    ReplyDelete