Sunday, October 16, 2011

Modcloth Love

Before I begin waxing poetic about my favorite local label, I want to apologize for being such an absent blogger and commenter this past week.  It's been a week of craziness both at school and at home, so hopefully things will calm down soon. 

Now, onto the love.  I am not kidding you at all when I say that Susan Kroger, Pittsburgh native and founder of Modcloth, beat me to living out my own dream.  In high school, she spent her free time scouring thrift and vintage shops for unique finds.  By the time she went to college, Susan had amassed such a collection of cool clothes that she and her then-boyfriend (now-husband!) started selling them online.  Their business boomed and blossomed into what is now the popular online-only retailer, Modcloth. 

Yep.  That was what I wanted to do from the time I was about 13.  Susan just had a few years on me, that's all.  :)  Seriously, though, I am obsessed with Modcloth not only because Susan's success story is so awesome, but also because it's right in my own backyard.  Since Modcloth ships mainly from their Pittsburgh headquarters, I can order something online and get it within a day or two.  Instant online shopping gratification!  Last week, I wore a couple of outfits centered on Modcloth pieces.

Cardigan: Guess, sz. S
Dress: Bernie Dexter, Modcloth, sz. XS
Silver Unicorn Necklace: a gift from my mom
Shoes: Target, sz. 7.5

Modcloth not only sells vintage pieces, but they also sell lesser-known indie labels.  Bernie Dexter is a designer who is known for her flattering construction and her 1950s-inspired rockabilly designs.  So you can fully appreciate the yummy cut and pattern of the dress, here's a stock photo:
 

Sigh.  So pretty. 

Last weekend, we had a glorious warm-up in the weather, and I was inspired to take a break from grading essays to go register at Crate and Barrel with the fiance.  I put together an outfit with a J.Crew Tippi sweater and a couple of pieces from Modcloth:

Say hi to my furbabies, Sassy and Puff, in the background.
Sweater: J.Crew Tippi sweater in bold peri, sz. S
Skirt: Puddle Pleasures Skirt, Modcloth, sz. S
Necklace: Vintage
Shoes: Chasing Down Dreams flat, 80%20, Modcloth, sz. 7.5

That skirt is still available, and at only $34.99, I can't recommend it enough.  The skirt's only downfall is that it's linen, so it will need ironed quite a bit (if you can't tell from my picture).  Here's a look at the skirt in all of its ironed-out glory:
And just look how stinkin' cute these shoes are up close:

If you haven't already checked out Modcloth, go go go.  It's a great site with a cool story behind its beginning.  And PS...the sales are always awesome :)



No comments:

Post a Comment