Monday, October 3, 2011

Dress Like an Egyptian: A Consignment Score

Hi, all!  I hope you've had a restful weekend!  I thought today I'd show you guys an awesome designer score I found last weekend while shopping with a good friend.  When we were fueling up for our shopping excursion at lunch, my friend and I talked about how shopping creates a type of high.  For some people, the high is just about instant gratification: scoring an item as soon as it comes out.  For others, the high is a culmination of what I like to call "the dig," "the find," and "the score."  I love going to consignment or vintage stores (mainly vintage stores...I love clothes with a rich history), digging through every item they have, finding something alluring, and scoring it at a great price.  This post is about one such item.

After reading about Topshop Unique's Egyptian-inspired Spring 2012 line here on the Fashionista blog a couple of weeks ago, I was super excited to pick up the Nanette Lepore Hieroglyhpics Dress at a local high-end consignment store. 

Trying on the dress with some Charlotte Russe heels the day I brought it home

The dress was a size 0, but I tried it on anyway, because I just couldn't pass up its amazing print and gorgeous saturated hues.  And honestly?  Who doesn't want to be a size 0?  I squeeeeezed into it, and I am so glad that, for just a second, I let myself think I could possibly forcibly shove my size 4 self into a dress two sizes two small.  By some fluke or graciousness of the fashion gods, it fit!  Here's a closeup of the print that begged for my attention on the rack:


The colors of the dress are saturated enough that I can wear it in the fall, but are bright enough that I think I can wear it during spring and into summer, too.  I believe this dress originally retailed for around $350, and I scored it for a little less than $75 in perfect condition. 

For my birthday, the fiance got us tickets to go see Wicked, which I had never seen, so I figured I could wear this dress.  It was cold and rainy, so I added tights, a cardigan, and boots.

Cardigan: NY & Co.
Dress: Nanette Lepore
Tights: Merona for Target
Purse: Vintage
Boots: Aldo

At first struggled with how to style the dress; it has so many gorgeous colors to pull from for accessories, and like a kid in a candy store, I wanted to use them ALL.  In the end, I decided to keep everything but the bag neutral and let the great print speak - rather loudly - for itself. 

The dig, the find, and the score certainly paid off in this instance.  Are you a digger, or do you like instant shopping gratification?


No comments:

Post a Comment