Thursday, October 6, 2011

I've been published!

Well, sort of.  Earlier this week, I received an email from our awesome wedding photographer friend Leeann from Leeann Marie Photography letting us know that our engagement pictures have been featured on the Delighfully Engaged blog!  Pretty excited about that.  You can see the post here

Since I'm talking about our engagement pictures, I figured I'd take a couple of minutes to finally show you all what I wore and explain my choices.  All of the following images are taken from either the Delighfully Simple blog or from Leeann's blog, and all were taken by Leeann of Leeann Marie Photography.

Outfit 1:

Dress:  Mompos Dress from Anthropologie, size 2
Shoes:  Red leather heels from some random store in Italy
Bracelet:  Target
Earrings:  A gift from a friend (part of our bridesmaid jewelry set from her wedding)

This was my first outfit choice, and it was slightly Alice-in-Wonderland/Dorothy-inspired.  I knew that no matter what else I wore, I would wear the Mompos dress.  The dress has a slight print, but it isn't too busy, so the focus remains on us instead of the print.  Plus, it comes with a built-in crinoline.  What says "I'm having a glamorous reading by the lake on a blanket" more than a crinoline? 

I paired the Mompos dress with red shoes because I love seeing a pop of unexpected color in photos, and I know that Leeann has a shoe fetish that rivals my own.  Plus, I wanted our pictures to be whimsical and storybook-ish, and you really can't get more fantastical than a pair of red patent-leather peep toes in the middle of a field.   For about half a second, I contemplated replacing the built-in belt with a red patent-leather belt, but I realized I wanted the shoes to stand out on their own, so I kept the belt as-is.

For this outfit, I kept the accessories classic and minimal.  Again, for engagement pictures, the focus should be on the couple, not on the clothes and accessories.  I kept the future Mr. AllDressedUp in a neutral complementing outfit.  He's wearing a Brooks Brothers shirt and tie combo that features understated light pink and sky blue.

Outfit #2:
Pittsburgh Engagement Photographer
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Orchard Engagement Session
Shirt:  Gathering Tank from Anthropologie, size small
Bracelet:  "I Read Banned Books" bracelet from Kards Unlimited
Jeans:  Joe's Jeans from Anthropologie, size 28
Shoes:  Cole Haan Air Nike Peep toe pumps, size 7.5

Again for this outfit, I wanted to keep the concept relatively simple.  The gathers of the gathering tank brings the eye right to the face, and I figured the green color would blend with the surroundings to bring out our faces even more. 

While I don't recommend trying to camoflauge yourself when dressing for photographs, but I do recommend wearing colors that complement your skin, hair, and eyes.  I felt like this shirt did all three relatively well.  Plus, green is one of our wedding colors, so I wanted to give a slight nod to that in the engagement pictures.  I wore the bracelet because it has several shades of green in it, but also because it matches the literary theme of our photos and of our wedding.  The shoes jeans and shoes acted as comfortable neutrals.  I put the fiance in a Banana Republic blue and green striped white button-down  and jeans so that we weren't exactly matching, but our outfits again complemented each other.

Outfit #3:
Sunset Lake Engagement Session Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Dress:  Vintage 1950s polka dot dress
Shoes:  Same red heels as above
Necklace:  Pearl necklace (stolen/inherited from my mom)
Earrings:  Silver hoops (a gift)

Again, simplicity is key.  I brought this dress along, not sure of whether or not I'd need it.  Leeann spotted it and gave me the go-ahead to bring it.  That's why she's awesome.  She understands that sometimes you just need another dress.  :)  Anyway, I kept my accessories simple once more with a pearl necklace and small silver hoop earrings.  The fiance remained in his outfit from before.  He's not as high-maitenance as I am, apparently.  ;)

I noticed while writing this post that I only wore 1-2 accessories per outfit.  That's probably a good rule of thumb to stick to when you know you're going to be photographed.  Now, if only this post had been published before Nicki Minaj went to the 2011 VMAs at the end of August:


Oh well.  Maybe she'll take note for next year.  ;)


3 comments:

  1. I love that first dress. Engagement photos are so alien to me, we don't do any over here, is it a new US trend? Here photos are only take on the wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, gorgeous! Makes me want to break out my Mompos dress, too. Haven't worn it yet this year...shame on me!

    My husband and I got married about 6.5 years ago and we did very informal engagement pics, but nothing as beautiful and fancy as these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabitha - I think it must be a U.S. thing. I'm not really sure when it started, though. Probably in the last 20 years or so? My parents didn't get engagement pictures. Quite a few couples use them for official engagement announcements in the newspaper. We used ours for our Save the Dates.

    AppGal - Thank you! Do you wear your Mompos dress to school? I love it, but I feel like it's almost a bit too much to wear to school. If you wear it to teach in, then I can feel justified in wearing it to school! :) haha

    ReplyDelete