Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Today's Outfit: High and Low

In true working girl style, I often like to mix and match higher end, more expensive clothes with lower end, less expensive clothes to make outfits that are a bit more unique and easier on the wallet. I'm thinking about making this idea a weekly feature of my blog. Here are pics and reviews of today's High and Low outfit:
I had to take a close-up pic of the earrings because I love them so much. I've had them for years and I'm just rediscovering them.

  • J.Crew Sunshine peonies pencil skirt, size 4 - no longer available online, but $39.99 at the B&M? Anyone know if they're still in stock anywhere?

  • Earrings - $15 at a charming little local vintage clothing/jewelry store that has since closed and broken my heart

Here are some reviews/thoughts on the pieces in this outfit:

The skirt: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sunshine peony print, and I've been in love with it since it came out. The perfect shirt ($49.99) and coccinelle dress ($89.99) are still available and are part of the summer sale. However, does anyone have trouble with their J.Crew pencil skirts riding up? My new oak tweed 21" doesn't, but this 24" does. I'm not sure if it's because of the length or if it's because I have a relatively small waist and some junk in the trunk =P Whatever the reason, I have to keep pulling on it. Oh well. I love the print enough that I am willing to risk the embarrassment of getting caught yanking at the hem.


The scoop neck tee: I actually like this version of the boyfriend fit tee for $14.95 better than J.Crew's softspun cotton pocket tee for more than twice the price at $32.50. The fit is better...it's a bit more snug, so I feel like it's more feminine. PS...Protesting Orange?? The color is gorgeous and matches the sunshine peony print perfectly, but if I was web-shopping and came across this color, the name itself would deter me from buying this shirt. Just a thought.


The cardigan: I love how soft and lightweight the Jackie is. For spring/summer, I like the shorter sleeve length also. The only downside is that you can pretty much see right through the white color.


The shoes: Pretty comfortable, for less than 20 bucks. I can teach in them all day and not have sore feet by 3:00 PM. I love the cute knot detailing.


The earrings: Like I said, I just rediscovered these after they were hidden away in a drawer for 5 years. They're a bit kitschy, but I love the colors and I couldn't resist putting them on with this outfit. And they're clip-ons that are actually comfortable to wear!


I'm interested to know 1) if anyone has seen any of the other sunshine peony print stuff left in the B&Ms, and 2) if the 24" pencil skirts ride up on anyone else.

Have a fabulous day, everyone! :)

5 comments:

  1. PS...forgot to give a shoutout to my BF, who took the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered a very similar skirt from J.Crew! I hope it fits, because I just love the floral look :) It's very very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wearing my sunshine peony skirt today! No, I don't notice it riding up at all, but do notice (TMI alert) that all of my pencil skirts make my underwear give me wedgies. Maybe that is my version of it riding up?? Like you, it isn't so annoying that I stop wearing them (the skirts, I mean!) Maybe you could try wearing a skinny belt at the waistband? You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww we were fashion twins yesterday! :) lol
    OMG I get wedgies with pencil skirts too. No fun, especially teaching! I like the belt idea! I need more belts in my life anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GingerSnap - let me know how you like the skirt you ordered! Florals are so pretty, and J.Crew nails them.

    ReplyDelete