Friday, May 28, 2010

Bridesmaid Dress Mess = retail rationalization

Hello, fellow JCAs! You must believe me when I tell you, I really was going to try to stay away from shopping this weekend. I swear. Then my plans came crashing down like a flimsy drying rack with too many sweaters. Now I sit in a crumpled mess of retail temptation.

I'm in a wedding on June 19th. I made the hour-long trek to the bridal store in January or February to try on bridesmaid dresses. A dress was chosen, I was sized, all was well with the world.

Then I lost 20 pounds. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic, but it's been the cause of too much retail rationalization. Nothing fits, so I must buy new clothes, right? It's also been the cause of the Bridesmaid Dress Mess. You see, the bridal store is the only bridal store in the country that doesn't offer in-house alterations. This was last week's panic. I found a woman that teaches with me who will do the alteration I'm anticipating I'll need on the dress (I went from a size 8 or 10 to a size 4. My bridesmaid dress is an 8.), but she, of course, needs some time and wants to do a few fittings. No problem. I figured I'd just use my last 1/2 of a personal day at work today, take the afternoon off, make the journey to the bridal store, and pick up the dress. That would leave me about an hour and a half to get back to my house and go to a garden party with my mom this afternoon. A HUGE outlet mall is conveniently nestled right off the road on my way home, so I figured I'd stop at the crewlet, buzz through, and be on my merry way.

Oh, cruel, cruel fate.

I called the bridal store yesterday, and the dress isn't in yet. Not only is this going to be a headache for me (I have zero time next week to go pick up the dress) and the woman doing my alterations, but this predicament has left me with a wide-open afternoon on a beautiful day. Nothing to do. The outlet mall beckons.

So, you see, I really must go to the outlets for the afternoon. I'm really left with no other choice. With this DC trip coming up this weekend, and the current 20% off crewlet offer courtesy of the Queen Bee, it's plainly what was meant to happen. Because it's the crewlet, however, I will shop with extreme caution. I promise.

4 comments:

  1. ooh, what'd ya get? last time I went to a Crewlet, I was pleasantly surprised! Hope the dress situation gets straightened out soon. Congrats on your weight loss, too! I lost a similar amount of weight a few years ago and that was when my clothing obsession started...didn't really want to wear cute clothes when I didn't feel confident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you 100% on the weight loss thing. I've always been a shopper, but now it's kind of kicked up a notch. Congrats on your weight loss! You look great in your pics, so you must be working hard to keep it off! Do you work out? If so, what kinds of things do you do?
    I actually found some cool stuff at the Crewlet...a couple necklaces, two belts, two tanks, a vest, and a dress. I'll post pics once I'm back from DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have/had a good trip! It's funny...I was at my heaviest when I was at my most active in hs and college. I played volleyball and basketball but didn't eat well at ALL and was very bulky from weight training. Toward the end of college, I completely revamped my eating habits and did lower impact activities like yoga, pilates, and simply walking more. With those changes, I dropped 30 lbs pretty quickly! I have stuck with those habits and kept the weight off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, good for you! I played volleyball, too! I did basketball in junior high. I gained a bunch of weight when I started teaching, but I've found with a set schedule, it's actually easier to lose/maintain. Hopefully I can keep it up during the summer!

    ReplyDelete