Monday, May 24, 2010

J. Crew New Arrivals Summer 2010 Reviews and IRL Pics

One of the girls I teach with invited a few of the teachers to a private J.Crew shopping party in Pittsburgh's B&M store this past weekend. What a blast! We all saved 20% on purchases of over $125, which wasn't a tough mark to hit. I had an opportunity to check out several new arrivals fresh off the shelves. Here are my reviews:




This is the starfish print dress ($128) that appeared on the website for a short time then disappeared last week.

Likes:the fact that it fit really well (size 4) and was TTS. It also had a very light, airy feel to it as the fabric is not heavy at all.
Dislikes: the fact that it had a weird pouch of fabric at the stomach, but that might be because I have a bigger bust. The length was also an issue. I won't be able to wear it to work, but it'll be excellent for dinner, bridal showers, and weddings this summer.

Next outfit:


Softspun Cotton Pocket Tee in Bright Coral - $32; size small

Starfish Cinema Short in Abyss Blue - $59; size 6

Likes: The shorts are a fun print and fit TTS; the linen is very soft and appropriate for summer. The length is very flattering as well.
Dislikes: The tshirt is very baggy, and although this is how it's supposed to fit, it's not very flattering. I plan on tucking it into the shorts and styling with a gold or cream-colored belt.
I purchased both of these items.

Next up:



Marin dress in Navy - $128; size small

Studded bar-car belt in Bronzed Avocado - $38; size small

Likes: Loved the silky material of the Marin dress. I also loved it cinched with the belt. It was very comfy.
Dislikes: It seemed to run big. I know I keep repeating that for pieces that are supposed to be a bit more roomy, but without the belt, I seemed to swim in the dress. I also didn't like how wide the neck was.

I did not purchase either of these two items.

Next up:


Chambray Maxi Dress - I can no longer find this on the website, but the store had a ton of them

Likes: the color
Dislikes: everything else. I seemed to get lost in this at 5'2", and my 34D bust just kind of hung out all over the place. Maybe with some major tailoring, this would've been an okay dress.

Didn't purchase this one.

Next:


Frankie mini-dress in Neon Peach - $55; size small
Fiore cotton cardigan in Natural - $118; size small

I've had my eye on this outfit for a while but decided to wait to purchase until the party because of the sale.
Likes: the colors, the fit of both pieces (both TTS)
Dislikes: the shortness and straps of the Frankie dress, the price of the cardigan (way overpriced, but I bit anyway because I've been in love with it since it came out), the fact that I need to wear a bra with the dress, but the straps make it very difficult

I purchased both of these pieces and can't wait to wear them.

Last, but not least...my favorite:


Sequin falls cardigan in Fawn - $118; size small
Sequin necklace tank in Wild Mushroom - $64; size small
Oak tweed pencil skirt in Natural - $110; size 4

I love love LOVE this outfit minus the sequin necklace tank. I didn't purchase the tank because it was relatively expensive for a tank top. I went with the Perfect Fit tank in Pale Buff for $18 instead.

Likes: LOVE the gauzy material of the sweater and the flattering vertical sequins. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE this skirt. It is VERY worth the $110. It's soft and the 21" hemline hits perfectly above the knee for me (again, I'm 5'2"). Both the sweater and skirt fit TTS.
Dislikes: The hemline of the skirt might be a bit short for taller women. The only other complaint I have is that I'm going to want to wear this outfit all summer, and it'll be too hot for the sweater.

I bought this outfit and I'm wearing it today. I've gotten several compliments on it.

I also tried on the neon madras shorts for $59, but they fit relatively tightly around my legs and were an odd length. They weren't comfortable at all. The starfish shorts were a much better choice.

Overall, I had a successful visit to the Crew B&M this past weekend. If you have any questions on any of the items pictured, ask away!

13 comments:

  1. Just found your blog from your post on JCA...so glad to have found you! I'm a high school English teacher in a rural area too, and it's always nice to read about others in similar situations with similar interests. Looking forward to reading more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, meant to say that I LOVE the last outfit on you. The tweed pencil skirt is to-die-for gorgeous! So glad you got that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! It is really nice to be able to relate to others! I'm brand new at the blogging thing, so we'll see how it goes! I'm in LOVE with that last outfit, too. Definitely worth the $$.

    What grades do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the pics...you look great, and I think my favorite outfit is the last one, too! :) I really like the Oak Tweed pencil skirt a lot. Does it run TTS?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks FabulousFloridaMommy! The Oak Tweed skirt does run TTS. It's a great fit! And so comfy. Although, today one of my 10th graders told me it looked like a carpet. Oh well. That's why I don't let 16 year old kids pick out my clothes I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this!!! I have not the foggiest when I will get my own IRL photos up--bit busy here. :)

    I am so glad that I bought the starfish shorts and the Marin dress. I think if you were to have tried the Marin in an x-small, you would have liked it more (in fact, I was *this* close to getting the x-small myself, but at 5'8", I needed a bit more length, and the small gave me that).

    I also love the little frankie dress, I have it in the navy--great for the pool!!!

    Cute blog, and keep wearing fab outfits, no matter where, I love that philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dina! I might wait for the Marin to go on sale and try it on in an XS. I'm so surprised at how big the crew's smalls have gotten just within the past couple of seasons! Makes me feel little haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right now I teach 11th and 12th grade, but I've taught them all at some point or another. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I teach 9th and 10th in a building that's just 9th and 10th grades. Makes it interesting, and not always in a good way haha. I student taught with 11th graders and LOVED them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last outfit is my favorite too, and the most flattering to your lovely figure. Thanks for sharing the rl pic's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks IRL! The rest of the outfits are just fun, but I'm in love with that last outfit. I wish I could wear it every day haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pics. I like the oak tweed pencil skirt, too. I think the texture is great. Yay you for bringing some fashion to your school :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha thanks, gigi! I agree about the texture - it's soooooo soft. I'm more of a dress person, but I'd live in this skirt if I could.

    ReplyDelete