Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fantasy football widow turned cupcake creator

It's that time of year again, everyone. The air is becoming crisp, the colors in store windows are growing deeper, and I'm beginning to forget what my fiance looks like. I kid, I kid. But tonight alone, my future hubby has not one, but TWO fantasy football drafts.
 
The fiance belongs to somewhere between seven and ten fantasy football leagues - I lose count after the first few leagues. Some of the drafts can be done in his "man cave" on the computer, but there are several that he attends in person. There's even one draft where everyone brings their laptops to someone's garage, and the guys sit around a giant table together with their eyes glued to the computer screen while they draft online. Male bonding at its finest, I suppose.

Yesterday morning as we were grocery shopping, the fiance mentioned that he needed to take some food to both of his drafts tonight. Jumping at the chance to perform my first wifely duty and simultaneously show off my culinary skills, I volunteered to make cupcakes. I love to bake and decorate cookies and cakes when I have the time, so I was excited to help. I googled "football cupcakes" and found this site with this picture, which I decided to use for inspiration:

Football Cupcakes

Three hours later, I ended up with two dozen of these:


I'm pretty pleased with how these turned out, especially because it was my first attempt at making my own buttercream icing. For anyone who's interested, I used this insanely simple recipe.  It only has four ingredients!
I hope that those of you that had a long weekend enjoyed it, and I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday!


1 comment:

  1. They look great! If you think that recipe was great, you should try: 1/2 c butter, 1/2 c shortening, 1 t vanilla, 4 c powedered sugar & 3-4 T milk.. depending on consistency.. its the best ever!!!

    ReplyDelete